Old July 15th 03, 09:37 PM

(WShoots1) wrote in message ...
Can you say a little bit more about this? I am not sure how to do the short.
And what would cause this condition? Would cheapo batteries cause it to occur?

I believe that when the batteries die with the radio on, different things
inside shut down at different times, leaving various items of capacitance
charged up to different levels. Touching the ends of a wire, with the batteries
(actually cells) removed, to the positive and negative battery terminals for a
few seconds should discharge the capacitance to equal and negligible levels.
It's like removing a static electricity charge.

Right now the problem seems to have mysteriously gone away. But, once in a
while, the lock indicator is showing up when i turn on the radio.

You could still have poor tension at the end terminals of the battery as
someone had mentioned. The next time I seem to have battery problem with my
DX-392, I'll try slipping a quarter in between the D cells at an accessible
point.

One time on the 392, after replacing the D's (it uses AA's for backup), FM
stations were slow to lock in. That improved to normal over several days. I
suspect a problem with the PLL circuit from day one. Some FM stations seem to
come in better 0.5 MHz higher. Too, it seems to depend upon the frequency. I'm
sure I caught one station shifting when I turned my monitor on or off. (That
thing should require an FCC license as a transmitter.)

73,
Bill, K5BY

Hey, your help here is invaluable. After about a week fo everything
going fine, I came home last night to find the 396 staring back at me
with the flashing 12:00. I'll try this trick at home tonight[ I am
hoping to DX the all-sta game broadcasts.