Old July 16th 03, 04:06 PM
Mark S. Holden

TommyBoy wrote:

Since the apparition of Mars this August is going to be better than it's been
in recorded history, http://www.space.com/spacewatch/mars...ew_021108.html
have any of this group's posters taken the time to observe it?

Using a 60MM refractor, 1 ¼ eyepiece, yielding about 130 power, (900 mm/7mm
telescope/eyepiece) I am able to see dark areas on the surface, albeit very
small. I am also able to easily discern the polar ice (dry ice) cap. That is,
able to see it at about 3:00 AM Eastern, when it has risen far enough to
permit relatively clean viewing clear of thick atmosphere at the horizon.

Other than the excoriation that will ensue about the inappropriateness of this
post, does anyone in this group observe the planets, (Amateur or Professional
Astronomers) and are there any shortwave radio related shows concerning the
approaching apparition?

Regards.

Never say never.
Nothing is absolute.

There is a handful of guys that frequent both this group and
sci.astro; for them such a post seems very much on topic! Not like
receiving Jupiter's radio waves, but somehow acceptable.

The only serious comment I've heard on SW about Mars was on Earth and
Sky. I've heard it on VOA (I think) and Radio for Peace Intl.

Insofar as serious observation talk, like meltlines and dust storms, I
haven't found any, and I'm not holding my breath! I was hoping that
Rod Molise (a ham) might be overheard describing Mars as seen in his
11"... but I'm not hopeful.

So the best advice for anyone in the group is to break out their old
scope and rack it up to about 50-60x per inch of objective (if a small
scope) and then easily see the polar cap and probably a few other
markings as well. If you miss this apparition the next warm-weather,
sizeable Mars disk comes in 2020.

Bye.

Two years ago Radio Netherlands had an interesting program on the practical problems of sending a manned space flight to Mars.

Many astronomical societies will be having public observing sessions for Mars - mostly around the end of August and beginning of September.

The one I'm a member of in Stratford CT will probably have one on 8/29 and again around 9/5. John Dobson (inventor of the "Dobsonian" telescope mount) will be a guest speaker at one or both of the events.

I routinely run into other people who are interested in shortwave at astronomical gatherings. The year I brought the 6790 and the Standard to Stellafane, I had almost as many people stop by to check out the radios as my scope.

Regards,

Mark

Boothe Memorial Astronomical Society Home Page:
www.bmas.org