Old July 17th 03, 01:46 AM
The Dawn Soliloquy

Interesting, I am a former member of the AAAP in the Pittsburgh Pa area.
(Amateur Astronomers Association of Pittsburgh).

I should write to some of my friends that are currently members, and maybe
make arrangements to get some obscure area of the grounds and set up a
shortwave table on a scheduled public observing night.

http://trfn.clpgh.org/aaap/

Check out the 11" Refractor, circa early 1900s.

http://trfn.clpgh.org/aaap/images/brashear.jpg

Obviously, my usual fare of evening listening will need to be modified, lest I
scare anyone away, or be arrested as a rightwing extremist. I'd need to do
some research to see what's on that might have a broader appeal to a general
audience, enough to interest them in shortwave.

August 1st and 2nd and the 16th would be the days available for my endeavors,
a Friday, Saturday and Saturday respectively.

Thanks for the suggestion, I hope I can work something out with the club. Does
anyone have any suggestions for appealing shows on the dates enumerated, BBC,
Marions's Attic, etc.

Regards.

In article , "Mark S. Holden"
wrote:

Two years ago Radio Netherlands had an interesting program on the practical
problems of sending a manned space flight to Mars.

Many astronomical societies will be having public observing sessions for Mars -
mostly around the end of August and beginning of September.

The one I'm a member of in Stratford CT will probably have one on 8/29 and
again around 9/5. John Dobson (inventor of the "Dobsonian" telescope mount)
will be a guest speaker at one or both of the events.

I routinely run into other people who are interested in shortwave at
astronomical gatherings. The year I brought the 6790 and the Standard to
Stellafane, I had almost as many people stop by to check out the radios as my
scope.

Regards,

Mark

Boothe Memorial Astronomical Society Home Page:
www.bmas.org

Never say never.
Nothing is absolute.