Old July 17th 03, 04:37 PM
Frank Dresser

"I. P. Yurin" wrote in message

[snip]

A question: does this thing actually have individual crystals for the
different freqs (stations) it shows on its tuning dial?

I've never seen the Karg or any circuit description, so I'm going on what
the seller wrote, and what sort of crystal controlled radios were available
at the time. These radios would switch in an individual crystal for each
frequency. This was typical for the Citizen's Band radios of that era. I
wouldn't be surprised if the Karg used a modified version of a CB tuner. It
would work well and there's no point in re-inventing the wheel.

Or it has
circuits each acting like a crystal?

The old push-button radios could be preset to several stations in a given
area. But that wasn't really like a crystal because they could also tune in
all the other frequencies and they weren't nearly so stable. A radio with
a crystal controlled frequency synthisizer could tune in many stations, but
this technology was expensive in the early 60s. If they went with a
frequency synthisizer, I'd expect they'd be receiving more stations. The
CBs could get 23, then 40.

The seller mentions "10 INDIVIDUAL CRYSTAL COILS". I don't know exactly
what "crystal coils" might be referring to, but I'll guess the coils are
fine tuning adjustments or peaking adjustments for the antenna and radio
frequency amplifier circuits. These adjustments would not be changed in
normal use.

Follow it up on Ebay, comrade! $100 didn't get a nibble; next we can
expect $80. Then comes $50 and maybe $25!

[snip]

--
Col. I.P. Yurin
Commissariat of Internal Security

I fear some Bill Gates or Warren Buffet will think the tuner is worth
$26.00. The free market can be so cruel! Why can't there be a place full
of factories mass producing things nobody wants, for all the people who want
things that nobody wants?

It's an unusal item, and there could even be a bidding war on the next
go-round. Ya never know on ebay.

Frank Dresser