Old July 20th 03, 04:05 AM
Daniel Rosenzweig

By the 7600, I would assume the SW7600GR, which is the only one
available new nowadays.

Unfortunately, Sony uses the '7600' moniker for a certain price point.
They update the radio over time and add a few letters to the name each
time... The original Sony 7600 was analog... and it makes it easier
for inscrupulous stores to switch you to a discontinued model.

History (and some mods) can be found he
http://home.t-online.de/home/jgrossklass/sony7600.htm

I found the older SW7600G to be muffled when on synchronous detection.
I still have an old SW7600 (no sync detection) (which I'm probably
going to sell, at this point) and an SW100S (the S, is the US version,
with active antenna included- as opposed to the European E, with just
a clothesline antenna). According to a guy at Universal, (without my
mentioning the 7600G issue I had) he told me that the SW7600GR has
better audio (than the SW7600G) when on sync detect.
The Radio Netherlands review of the GR doesn't mention this.
http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/icf-sw7600gr.html

I'm happy with my SW100S, which I bought reconditioned - to reduce the
sticker shock. I made sure to get the 'new' (1998+) - hinge fix
version.

When using it at home, I use it with a Torus Tuner loop (passive)
antenna (which can be used on the 7600GR, as well) which really helps
dramatically in many situations... Interestingly, I searched around
before purchase... and it seems like the only negative reviews, were
from people who did not own the antenna - and were basing it upon
theory...
I bought it with the amplifier -- but as you can read in the thread
listed below, it's not really needed for portables... so I rarely
connect the amp.

(Sony's AN-LP1 loop antenna was also a great antenna - and
collapsible- but no longer made... I have no idea how the two antennas
compare).
The Torus Tuners are hand-made in the US -- so you wont find them in a
store in the UK...
http://www.torustuner.com

Take a look at this thread from rec.radio.shortwave, for example (you
can search the newsgroups yourself):
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...r%3D%26hl%3Den

The active antenna which it comes with (the SW100E only comes with a
'clothesline' wire) is of marginal value... Since you're in Europe -
you may not need much of an antenna anyhow... depending upon the
broadcaster you're trying to listen to...

I also connect it to a Cambridge Soundworks (now owned by Creative
Labs) speaker system - which really makes is sound quite good... I
have a cardboard baffle which I use for travelling... it really makes
the sound louder and bassier - for the cost of cutting an old
cardboard box! Nothing compared to a seperate speaker, of course...

Radio Netherlands review of SW100
http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/icfsw100.html

SW100 page - includes old hinge issue and speaker baffle.
http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/gadgets/SW100.html

FYI- I have no connection to any of the above
products/companies/webpages other than being a consumer...

"Mark" wrote in message ...
Thanks Ron,

I've gone for the 7600 - ordered one today. Hope it comes soon.

Cheers, Mark