Old August 1st 03, 04:27 AM
Pete KE9OA

Default Anyone interested in a vintage Grundig 5490?

Hi Chris,
It sounds like an AGC cap; if this cap lowers in value as it
ages, the time constant becomes to fast. The result is that low audio notes
(bass) will modulate the AGC bus. Good luck on the sale.

Pete

Chris Dorn wrote in message
. ..
Hello,

I've got a vintage Grundig 5490 LW/MW/SW/FM receiver. It was the flagship
radio for Grundig around 1963, and the last tube radio they built. This is

beautiful looking and sounding receiver. It is rather large and heavy. It
uses 13 tubes, and has a push pull audio section. This one has the rare
stereo decoder option. FM stereo was not terribly common back then. The
radio plays fairly well, but there is some distortion in one channel on

bass
frequencies. Mostly noticeable on MW, not much on SW. Probably needs an
audio coupling cap. I'm looking to trade toward a solid state SW receiver.
If anyone is interested in this type of radio, drop me a note. Next stop
will probably be EBAY in a couple of weeks. Shipping will not be cheap.

Thanks,

Chris VE6RDC