Old August 5th 03, 09:41 PM
Frank Dresser

Default hf amateur trans at which receiver

"Sam/Linz" wrote in message
Hi

I am new to the seen and i am looking to pick up amateur HF trans.

I have read reviews etc and it seems that most receiver are not very good

on
the ssb where i beleive ham signals are I would like some opinions on this
etc. or some sugestions on other receivers i am looking secondhand at

about
£ 70-
100 is there anything that will give good results for this price or am i
going to have to splash out on a frg-100 yaesu

A Sangean ATS-803/Realistic DX-440 is a good, inexpensive radio for
recieving strong ham signals, as well as a general coverage SW and FM radio.
It has very good frequency stability. However, it's bandwidth, even on the
narrow position, is wider than the ideal for SSB, and the strongest signal
tends to dominate what you hear. Also, it's not as sensitive as many
radios. Other portables may have similiar performance, but the DX-440 is
the one I have direct expirence with.