Old June 1st 04, 10:13 AM
Richard

"Jack Painter" wrote in message
news%Ouc.720$Y21.452@lakeread02...
"Richard" wrote in message
Whenever I think about a simple VHF wideband omnidirectional vertical
antenna for my marine band listening, I'm always thinking folded dipole.

think I've got folded dipole on the brain. But wait - isn't it better to
make J-pole. Constructionaly simpler I think, and you can feed with
unbalanced coax. Are J-poles wideband antennas? I want any antenna to

cover
156-162 MHZ (6Mhz bandwidth) - RECEICE ONLY. Would a J-Pole do here,
bandwidth-wise?TIA.

http://www.hamuniverse.com/jpole.html This is the directions for the

J-Pole
of copper pipe that I use very successfully for 2-way marine band traffic.
It is centered on 156.800 and works great over the whole marine band. I do
not use any form of choke on it, and feed it with RG-8U through a I.C.E
Lightning Arrestor from a JRC marine transceiver. Ground it well.

Jack Painter
Virginia Beach, Va

Obviously works then. No mention of the bandwidth of these designs.