Old August 7th 03, 09:12 AM
starman

Michael Holme wrote:

starman wrote in message ...
Michael Holme wrote:

Anybody had the RCI blank out on them. I've had a number of silences
recently, anything from 2 seconds to 15 seconds. I listen in the UK on
5850KHz at 20:00UTC for an hour and a half.

Could it be atmospherics ?

Not likely. When a station drops out instantaneously, it's got to be
either the audio signal or transmitter itself. Did you notice if the
meter on your radio went to zero during the drop out? If so, it would
indicate a transmitter failure.

I monitored the meter. The AGC was set to FAST and during the drop out the
meter didn't go down ?? The Radio in question was an oldish one (a 1985 JRC
NRD-92) so I double checked with my new Sony ICF-SW07. After a wait of
around 15 minutes the signal dropped out again for about 10 seconds and
what do you know, both receivers blanked out simultaneuously and came back
on together. I'm waiting for a chance to double check the experiment. The
drop out didn't happen last night, or a least not for more than a second
possibly.
What do you reckon ??

If the meter didn't drop out, the transmitter was still on but the audio
to it was lost. Could have been a failure in the audio link between the
studio and transmitter site.