Old August 14th 03, 04:14 AM
The Dawn Soliloquy

The straps in question were for the reduction of static. I did some research
on the 'net tonight, but found only one page that specifically mentioned the
straps usage in the reduction of static. Unfortunately the page was written in
PDF, when I used the "view as html" option that occurs for some of the PDF
searches on Google, I was unable to copy the desired passage. (my Adobe viewer
crashes my computer on occasion, and anyway the document can be written that
disallows copying even in adobe).

These straps were quite common in the Pittsburgh Pennsylvania area. Apparently
"African Americans" in this area found them desirable esthetically, (I thought
the straps looked nice as well), as they were more prevalent on their cars
than others. We (in a racist way) used to joke that blacks were afraid of
electricity and that was why they used them. They were quite common indeed.

http://216.239.37.104/search?q=cache...8J:www.mornews.
com/pdfarchive/2002/september/14/9-14-02%2520F9.
pdf+car+parts+static+straps&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Copy and paste the entire link, if it works, do a search for the word "static"
(omit the parenthesis). Deep in the text is a reference to "Static Straps",
"made of abrasion resistant rubber impregnated with carbon black". "It is said
that they last a life time, and cost about $10 apiece at most parts stores".
They were placed on the driver and passengers sides of the car at the rear,
hanging down and scraping the street.

Regards.

In article nk.net,
"Warpcore" wrote:
I remember the catfish whiskers that were used to help people park, but not
the thing you mention s. I was very young then LOL.

Never say never.
Nothing is absolute.