Old August 14th 03, 06:10 AM
starman

-=jd=- wrote:

On 13 Aug 2003, "mary" wrote in
:

This is not a short-wave question, but I thought people
here would know the answer. When I was a kid in the
fifties, it seemed as if people who had radios in their
cars had this rubber thing hanging from the bottom of the
car. When I asked my parents what it was for they said it
helped provide better radio reception. Somehow I remember
every car having one, but then maybe not. Anyone remember
what it was all about. Our car did not have one because my
father would never get a car with a radio.

Thanks

Tom

I'm thinking it was more than just rubber (if inspected
closer) and was used as a ground strap? or a pre-cursor to
"curb-Feelers"?

I believe those rubber straps were impregnated with a conductive
material. They were mainly intended to discharge static electricity
caused by a passenger getting in or out of the car and rubbing their
bottom across the seat cover material.