Old August 14th 03, 02:58 PM
Jennifer Michael

(radiok3pi) wrote in message om...
I have to agree with grenner. For a portable, my vote goes for the
2010. I snatched up an extra when I heard they were being
discontinued. THey appear regularly on e-bay, sometimes on
rec.radio.sw and swap, you might also try the Yahoo 2010 board. The
synch detect for fighting off adjacent channel interference is
remarkable...as you know. If it was me, I would buy a spare 2010. If
sideband was really important - you would probably want something with
less than 100 hz tuning.

The 2010 is great off the whip - which I assume would be important for
your apt. location. The Sangean 909, while a great radio in many
respects, really needs an external antenna - not too hot just off the
whip.

Not sure what the symptoms of your dying 2010 are. You may want to
post those and especially in the Yahoo 2010 group. Perhaps someone
can help you revive it!

--Russ k3pi

Thanks for the input. I am going to scour the Yahoo group today, but
so far no one else has had the specific problem with the 'error 3'
message that I have. The battery connections are/seem fine, the
switches, all that. The A/C connection wore out slowly (I probably
exacerbated it by trying to giggle it around too much) and finally
gave out. So, when I attempted to switch to batteries it would not
let go of the 'error 3'. It's almost like it still thinks the A/C is
connected. Come to think of it, back in the 80's I had the same thing
happen with the smaller sony, I can't recall the model (7600??).
Those models also lost their antennas easily, I recall. -- JLM