Old August 14th 03, 05:18 PM
John Doty

In article ,
"the captain" wrote:

the captain is thinking about a slinky beverage using the super slinky
at this web site. any suggestions before I plop down at the drafting
table ?

http://www.metaltoys.com/Slinky.htm

It won't work as a Beverage. The trick to a Beverage is that the TEM mode
trapped on the wire moves at the same speed as the incoming waves, so even
the weak longitudinal coupling due to ground absorption builds up. The
wave on the wire stays in phase with a signal coming from the direction
the wire is pointed.

A Slinky is a "slow wave" structu the speed of the trapped mode is much
less than the vacuum speed of light. The phase relationship that makes a
Beverage work won't hold.