Old August 16th 03, 10:23 PM
Frank Dresser

"pete" wrote in message
news:01c36415$900d7e00$2f1588cf@verrando...
Does RA still use that great flute ditty that's
so indicative of Australia? That was always so great
to hear on SW, along with the Aussie accents.
Pete
KQ5I

The interval signal is "Waltzing Matilda", if I recall. They used to play
it for about 5 or 10 minutes before the start of a transmission. Plenty of
time to tune it in on the drifty old tube radio. They still play the same
tune, but it's much shorter, and I haven't heard what they described as the
"laugh of the kookaboora" in years. That was memorable. I seem to remember
"Waltzing Matilda" being played on bells or a xylaphone or something ringing
like that.

Frank Dresser