Old June 2nd 04, 10:15 PM
Old Ed

It is perhaps worth noting that all the cute comments about cheap
materials and labor would apply equally well to nearly all the products
we buy these days. Who here makes all his own clothes and shoes,
for example?

As to cables, some sources (e.g., Cable Experts) seem to pride
themselves on good quality. And it would be a sad state of affairs if
they (and other professional cable makers), couldn't install connectors
much faster AND better than the typical ham with his motley hand tools.

Some exotic cable types are not even spec'ed for user-installed
connectors, by the way--even if said user is a competent electronics
house. Such cable types REQUIRE factory-installed connectors.
(This is NOT stuff needed by the average ham, fortunately.)

Notwithstanding all this, there are undeniably some junky, Chinese
ready-made cables out there. I bought a few from HRO, and about 20%
turned out to be bad. So now I will buy only the relatively upmarket
ready-mades (like Cable Experts). I notice that our local HRO seems
to be phasing out the no-name ready-mades; so I suspect I wasn't the
only one to have problems with them.

73, Ed

"Gary S." Idontwantspam@net wrote in message
On Mon, 31 May 2004 12:37:31 -0500, Cecil Moore
wrote:

Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr. wrote:
And, do you want to trust factory installed cheap connectors?

Installed by minimum wage workers?

Who are judged by speed, not quality?

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)