Old August 17th 03, 08:44 AM
Bob Brock

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 06:54:36 GMT, Hagbard Celine
wrote:

Bob Brock wrote:

General Class license still requires a Morse Code test. Morse has not
been "wiped." It has however, been lowered for the two higher class
licenses from 13 and 20 wpm to 5 wpm for both licenses. Morse is not
required for the Technician license which give full priviliges on
VHF/UHF.

So, once again ernie, you are wrong.

http://www.arrl.org/pio/hamlic.html

He's also in Australia, which, to my knowledge, isn't governed by the US
FCC.

Well, to the best of my knowledge, I didn't use the term FCC. The IAU
set the morse requirement. However, just to set the record straight,
let's look here.

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2000/03/30/1/?nc=1

South Africa, Australia to Adopt 5 WPM Morse Test for Full HF Access

BTW, ernie was giving advice to someone who was impacted by the recent
power outage. I don't think it reached as far as Oz. So it doesn't
matter if he was talking about the NE US or Oz, he was wrong.
However, you will find that when ernie is wrong, he never acknowledges
that he has made a mistake. He simply moves to another thread and
starts over.

I got my Tech license recently, and plan on taking SKYWARN classes in
the spring. The blackout has made me decide to accelerate my purchase
plans for a mobile radio. Handhelds are more portable, but max out at 5w
of transmit power, where most mobiles are 50-55w.

You can pick up an amplifier for a few bucks to get you to the 25-30
watt zone. Going to 50 watts will only give you a 3 db gain. I've
got one laying around here somewhere that you could have if I can find
it.