Old August 17th 03, 04:32 PM
Delphic

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 03:03:05 GMT, "mad amoeba" wrote:

i have both cordless phone and an old type phone in my house where the
handset is connected to the base station. Neiher one was working. If I had
to contact either cops or amublance i would have no way of doing that except
of standing on the street and waiting for the cop car to pass by. That's why
i asked the question of how one would keep a line of communications if the
regular ones were out.

snip

well,... I guess i can add this question. is your wired phone
attached to Cable? i understand that in alot of metro areas, the
cable companies are now offering phone service across their lines. I
don't know anything about the equipment but this could be a issue if
the power goes out.

My cordless phone has a place for a 2nd batter to be charged for the
handset. in the event of a power outage, I can still use my cordless
for upto 3-4 hours. and I have my cable connection on a UPS,.. plenty
of time for me to use my laptop (which i can make iNet calls on if
needed) to notify anyone of need..

being a Ham - I look for equipment i can run off of 12v. I have a 12v
drill that i can power my PDA from, charge my cell phone, and work
with if needed. Push comes to shove,.. got the battery in the truck
too.