Old August 18th 03, 10:02 AM
Lionel Carter

The straps to discharge static were very popular in the UK a decade ago when
people wore polyester suits and Hushpuppies. Hardly ever see these straps
now.
It might also be that the composition of the tyres has changed making them
un-necessary.

It is definitely to do with cars because I've never seen one being used with
a Walkman.

Lionel Carter

"Matti Ponkamo" wrote in message
Something to do with the grounding I suppose... Cannot tell
if it worked or not. One can still see them in cars from Russia.

Matti Ponkamo, Naantali, Finland

"mary" kirjoitti
This is not a short-wave question, but I thought people here would know

the
answer. When I was a kid in the fifties, it seemed as if people who had
radios in their cars had this rubber thing hanging from the bottom of

the
car. When I asked my parents what it was for they said it helped provide
better radio reception. Somehow I remember every car having one, but

then
maybe not. Anyone remember what it was all about. Our car did not have

one
because my father would never get a car with a radio.

Thanks
Tom