Old August 18th 03, 10:39 PM
MJC

There was a great sci-fi movie in the late 50's called "On the Beach"
which told the story of a submarine crew that survived a worldwide nuclear
holocaust because they were out in the ocean under water. While waiting for
the "end" to come to an end, they constantly monitored radio broadcasts from
around the world but more and more stations kept dropping off the air as
most of the earth became silent.
After some weeks and the nuclear dust cleared, they made their way to
Australia because they figured that was the safest place what with radiation
and all. Anyway, it really was a classic (and certainly one of the early
leftist's attempts to scare people into buying into their anti-war agenda
although still a great movie just the same), but the reason that I mention
it here is that all throughout the movie, the song "Waltzing Matilda" was
the background music that gave a common musical theme for the movie which
was set, for the most part, in Australia.
I'm thinkin' that perhaps you had seen that movie as a kid and the
song's Australian connection never left you.
Sorry, just rambling....
Now I have to PLONK myself.

MJC

"Warpcore" wrote in message
ink.net...
I wish to apologise to Australians. In a reply to a recent post here, I

said
that "Waltzing Matilda" was the national anthem of Australia. A reply
corrected my ignorance. I honestly thought it was - I've thought that it

was
all my life. Anyway, I love the song, and hold Australia in high regard,

so
I was somewhat mortified to read of my error.

Thanks