Old August 19th 03, 02:07 AM
Diverd4777

In article ,
"Frank Dresser" writes:

Don't remember much from the movie, but I did read the book. Did the movie
keep the SW radio subplot? The sub crew kept receiving encouraging CW
gibberish, even well after all the other signals went dark. They were able
to direction find the signal to the Pacific Northwest. If I recall, the
elements of the solved mystery involved a pop bottle, a loose window
shutter, and most implausably -- a power grid that never blew it's fuse.

Frank Dresser

Yes, the movie kept the SW radio Subplot.. With everyone in Australia
preparing for the end, Grimly partying or whatever,
( Or falling Hard for Ava Gardner)
They're Always picking up a signal from the Pacific Northwest.
Following the signal with a direction finder, walking up a flight of stairs,
turning into the room..
Eerie scene... just an open window, flapping windowshade with the cord hooked
onto a telegraph key..

Nevile Shute is the author of the book " On The Beach" BTW . . .