Old August 19th 03, 03:39 AM
Frank Dresser

"Diverd4777" wrote in message

Yes, the movie kept the SW radio Subplot.. With everyone in Australia
preparing for the end, Grimly partying or whatever,
( Or falling Hard for Ava Gardner)
They're Always picking up a signal from the Pacific Northwest.
Following the signal with a direction finder, walking up a flight of

stairs,
turning into the room..
Eerie scene... just an open window, flapping windowshade with the cord

hooked
onto a telegraph key..

Nevile Shute is the author of the book " On The Beach" BTW . . .

That's good. I've seen bits and pieces of the movie on TV, but I don't
think I've seen it all. I thought the radio stuff was the best part of the
book.

I generally prefered end of the world stories from late night cheesy 50s
movies, especially Roger Corman's. They were quicker paced than the big
Hollywood productions, and showed more skin.

I also have a dim Sunday School memory of somebody pulling out an old record
player and playing an even older doomsday blast from the past:

http://www.harvestnet.org/prophecies/aaallenvision.htm

Something for us kiddies to think about, I'm sure.

Oh well. The Cold War is over and TV has replaced cheap late nite movies
with infomertials. At least we still have the SW radio doomsayers.

Frank Dresser