Old August 19th 03, 03:33 AM
Dave Holford

Care to guess how many stores stayed open after their power went out,
and how many had to close because the cash registers weren't working
and the morons working there can't figure out how much change you get
from your dollar after you buy a $0.74 item unless the cash register
tells them to fork over your $0.26?

73 DE John, KC2HMZ
There's a sucker born every minute. -- P.T. Barnum

And I am assuming you could figure that out in a matter of seconds? I
really don't call people working long hours to earn a living "morons"
I guess your life and job is so great that you can call cashiers and
supermarket folk like me morons? You can, but it don't offend me.

I don't call hard working people morons either; but the inability to
calculate the change from a dollar for 74 cents in under a second
betrays a terrible lack of education at the very least. I find it
amusing, and sad, to have the correct change in my hand while the clerk
is using a machine to figure out the taxes and the total - some of them
are genuinely bewildered when they finally figure it out and realize I
have the amount in my hand. Mind you some of the old folks working at
Wal-Mart and McDonalds can do it even faster than I can. Hell my
Grandmothers (both of them) could do hexadecimal mental math instantly
(so can my wife); they just don't call it hex. The old saying is true,
a mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Dave