Old August 19th 03, 07:43 PM
radio newbie

Default shortwave newbie needs help please.

I bought a sony 7600gr yesterday. I'm having trouble catching any
shortwave frequencies. Its great for fm and am but I can;t seem to
listen to shortwave signals. I'm trying for radio free asia but I keep
getting static. What am I doing wrong ?
http://www.rfa.org/front/progsched.html . I live in the newyork city
area near the coney island area of brooklyn. My time is 5 hours - utc.
I checked the schedule and it seems like it should work. I extended my
whip antenna all the way , I attached the included portable wire
antenna to it as well and I'm getting nothing. Is there something
wrong with my radio ? I took my radio outside and I tried it inside
and I get static.

Is there a frequency that is recommended for me to listen to in order
to tell if my radio is working properly ?