Old August 20th 03, 12:57 AM
KB9WFK

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 20:18:26 GMT, Never anonymous Bud
wrote:

Separating himself from Baghdad Bob, Trs1 whined:

It is not illegal to communicate for emergency reasons.

That's NOT the FCC says.

Actually, it is what they say. I believe it is even a question on the
test for the Tech. Class license but I really don't feel like reading
the entire question pool right now.

Actually..here it is from an ARRL publication NOW YOU'RE TALKING used
to study for the exam. After a paragraph recognizing that some radios
can transmit out of band and warning of false or deceptive signals it
says:

"If you should require immediate emergency help, and you're using a
voice mode, call MAYDAY. Use whatever frequency offers the best
chance of getting a useful answer"

"In a life or property-threatening emergency, you may send a distress
call on any frequency, even outside the amateur bands, if you think
doing so will bring help faster."

"If you receive a distress signal, you are also allowed to transmit on
any frequency to provide assistance."

This is all under subelement T1E

KB9WFK

"You are behaving like a troll, disguising your attacks as reasonable
discussion."
'Alan Connor'