Old August 20th 03, 04:01 AM
erniegalts

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 23:57:25 GMT, KB9WFK wrote:

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 20:18:26 GMT, Never anonymous Bud
wrote:

Separating himself from Baghdad Bob, Trs1 whined:

It is not illegal to communicate for emergency reasons.

That's NOT the FCC says.

Actually, it is what they say. I believe it is even a question on the
test for the Tech. Class license but I really don't feel like reading
the entire question pool right now.

Actually..here it is from an ARRL publication NOW YOU'RE TALKING used
to study for the exam. After a paragraph recognizing that some radios
can transmit out of band and warning of false or deceptive signals it
says:

"If you should require immediate emergency help, and you're using a
voice mode, call MAYDAY. Use whatever frequency offers the best
chance of getting a useful answer"

"In a life or property-threatening emergency, you may send a distress
call on any frequency, even outside the amateur bands, if you think
doing so will bring help faster."

"If you receive a distress signal, you are also allowed to transmit on
any frequency to provide assistance."

This is all under subelement T1E

KB9WFK

There are actually three classes of distress messages and AFIK all
have priority over any normal traffic. However, I have my doubts that
all amateurs would necessarily recognize them, let alone users of CB
or most other two way services.

To quote from one of my earlier posts:
Subject: OT: CB Radio's
Date: 2000/06/03
Newsgroups: misc.survivalism
MAYDAY (Distress) = Indicates that a ship, aircraft or other vehicle
is threatened by grave and imminent danger and requests immediate
assistance.

PAN (Urgency) Indicates that the calling station has a very urgent
message to transmit concerning the safety of a ship, aircraft, or
other vehicle, or the safety of a person.

SECURTIE (Safety) Indicates that the station is about to transmit a
message concerning the safety of navigation or giving important
meteorological warnings.

"You are behaving like a troll, disguising your attacks as reasonable
discussion."
'Alan Connor'

"_Magna est veritas et praevalebit"_
(Truth is mighty and will prevail).