Old August 21st 03, 03:08 AM
RHF

I know of no known problems with the Sony 7600GR being weak on AM/MW
or subject to overload or images from other local stronger
broadcasters.

? Have you tried using a small AM/MW Loop Antenna (R/S, Terk, SAT)
with the 7600GR to 'boost' (fine-tuning and directional peaking) the
WGN 720 kHz signal and attenuate the 1630 image ?

~ RHF
..
..
= = = "Bob D"
= = = wrote in message ink.net...
The question is: does the Sony 7600 GR have a problem with frequency
override (if that is the proper term I'm radio naive beyond finding the
dial) with AM 720 by AM 1630 (or frequencies close to 1630)

I purchased a Sony 7600 GR several weeks ago (via mail order) and was
able to receive during the day with no problems WGN Chicago (AM 720).
It performed somewhat better than a Yachtboy 400 PE, which I ended up
returning. I am about 150 air miles from WGN.

About two weeks ago I noted that when I tuned to frequency 720 AM that
frequency 1630, a local station transmitting with 10,000 watts, was
overriding the 720 signal and that was receiving 1630 reasonably clear.
By using the ATT (believe I've got this correct) switch and adjusting I
was able to get 720, but very poorly.

Note: I have checked with the local 1630 station and they have not
changed there transmitter power. I've not checked with WGN however, my
reception on my non Sony radios appears to be about the same has is has
for the past year or more.

I've placed the Sony 7600 GR, my GE Superadio, and Panasonic RF-B65 side
by side (all operating on batteries) on multiple occasions and the
Panasonic and GE get 720 cleanly and the Sony does not.

I returned the Sony to the dealer and they state they have not
duplicated the problem, however, do not have a 720 station that they can
compare.

The dealer is willing to replace the Sony or offer a refund. I want the
Sony (my Panasonic has gone thru two problems with its internal
connection to the wall wart and it eats batteries).

Any advice? Am I experiencing a problem that is inherent in the Sony
7600 GR?

Thanks

Bob D