Old August 22nd 03, 09:04 PM
Al Patrick

They really teach some odd things about sex. Example:

Here's a passage full of advice. It, like the others, gives us insight
into the folkways of Talmudic society. Among the advice: A wife should
not demand her conjugal rights, and a man should avoid having
intercourse with one wife while thinking of another wife -- he may,
however, think of a woman who is not his wife.

GEMARA. ... And that ye seek not after your own heart. (7)
[Deducing] from this Rabbi taught: One may not drink out of one
goblet and think of another. (8) Rabina said: This is necessary only
when both are his wives.

And I will purge out from among you the rebels, and them that
transgress against me. (1) R. Levi said: This refers to children
belonging to the following nine categories: children of fear, (2) of
outrage, of a hated wife, one under a ban, (3) of a woman mistaken
for another, (4) of strife, (5) of intoxication [during
intercourse], of a mentally divorced wife, (6) of promiscuity, and
of a brazen woman. (7) But that is not so: for did not R. Samuel b.
Nahmani say in the name of R. Jonathan: One who is summoned to his
marital duty by his wife will beget children such as were not to be
found even in the generation of Moses? For it is said, Take you wise
men, and understanding [and known among your tribes, and I will make
them rulers over you]; (8) and it is written, So I took the chiefs
of your tribes, wise men and known (9) but 'understanding' is not
mentioned. (10) But it is also written, Issachar is a large-boned
ass; (11) whilst elsewhere it is written, And of the children of
Issachar, which were men that had understanding of the titles? (12)
-- [It is virtuous] only when the wife ingratiates herself [with her
husband]. (13)

-- Babylonian Talmud, Tractate Nedarim 20b
http://www.come-and-hear.com/nedarim/nedarim_20.html#20b
Soncino 1961 Edition, pages 58-59

Larry Ozarow wrote:

Like a 12 year-old going to the library and searching through
the books for the "good parts." The Talmud is a legal document,
and sex is a fairly major part of human relationships that especially
in former times had serious legal consequences.