Old August 23rd 03, 01:32 AM
The Dawn Soliloquy

Default Nextel Claims Trademarks On "Push To Talk" And "PTT"

Maybe it's old news, but if not, you guys and gals have to see this.

Beginning of excerpt.

http://www.forbes.com/markets/newswi...tr1006950.html

Nextel Claims Trademarks On "Push To Talk" And "PTT"

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Nextel Communications Inc. said Friday it would use
trademark law to stop emerging rivals of its 10-year-old walkie-talkie service
from using the term "push-to-talk" to describe their products.

But lawyers said Nextel, the No. 5 U.S. wireless telephone company and so far
the only one to offer a feature on a phone that allows customers to talk at
the push of a button, could face an uphill battle to protect the term.

"You can't use trademark law to remove words from the dictionary and prevent
their ordinary use," said Steven Bauer, a partner in the intellectual property
group at Boston law firm Testa, Hurwitz & Thibeault.

End of excerpt.

I guess I'll need to scrape PTT of of my Yaesu VX-5R. I hope I don't damage
too much plastic.

Does Nextel employee anyone with a brain?

Regards.

Never say never.
Nothing is absolute.