Old June 3rd 04, 09:07 PM
hello

Default A horizontal "sleeve" antenna for 20m

HI
I want to put a dipole for 20m in my garden.
A tree and the home roof will be ok to fix the extremity.
My problem is the feed point : If IA center feed it , the feed line will
just hang at the center of the garden, something not acceptable by the
YL :-)

So I'm looking for a way to feed it by one "side".
I could endfeed it, but impedance matching is not so easy at such a high
impedance.
Then, after reading lots of post in this newsgroup, I read about the
sleeve antenna : generaly a vertical dipole where one leg is a sleeve.
Coax enter in the sleeve to the center feed point.
I think this antenna could work horizontaly and for HF and solve my
problem. Now, hanging horizontaly a 5m long metallic sleeve is surely
not a good idea, but at HF , I thing that man could replace the sleeve
by some wire cage.
So I end up with the idea of a cage or biconic dipole , with the coax
entering horizontaly in the middle of the cage to the center.

What do you think of this idea ?
How many wire for the cage 2 (a bowtie), 3, more ?
Do you have a better one for my particular constrains ?

Lots of questions, but I'm sure you will have lots of answers !

Thanks in advance

Thierry
F4DWV