Old June 3rd 04, 09:21 PM
Cecil Moore

Jim Kelley wrote:

Cecil Moore wrote:
Since waves cannot
exist without energy moving past a point, we can deduce that the
person has strongly implied that reflected waves don't exist.

100 watt rf generator driving an open, lossless transmission line. How
much energy do you think moves past a given point along the line every
second? 100 Joules, 200 Joules, or zero Joules?

Equip the RF generator with a perfect circulator plus load and it is
easy to measure 100 watts out of the generator and 100 watts dissipated
by the circulator load. The 100 watts dissipated by the circulator load
makes a round trip to the open end of the transmission line and back
as can be proven using TV ghosting or a TDR. A Bird directional wattmeter
will read 100 watts in either direction.

So, to answer your question: There is 100 watts forward power and 100
watts of reflected power anywhere along that line. The *NET* power
flow is, of course, zero. I believe this is all explained in Johnson's
textbook under "forward power flow vector" and "reverse power flow
vector". I'm at work and don't have my references handy.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp