Old August 23rd 03, 10:45 PM
tommyknocker

helmsman wrote:

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 19:35:31 -0600, JA
wrote:

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 19:19:56 -0600, Michael wrote:

Hi...

The past few days have been VERY bad for me here in North NJ as far as
DX'ing. The noise level is out of hand. "HSSSSSSSSS !!!!!!!!!!! " Is
it local or somthing global ???

Anyone notice the same thing ???

Someone posted about solar max and min a bit ago. Someone else posted
about aurora borealis. The point I guess is that some natural phenomena
are messing up radio waves.

This page ftp://ftp.sec.noaa.gov/pub/latest/wwv.txt will give you
this:
Product: Geophysical Alert Message wwv.txt
Issued: 2003 Aug 22 1210 UTC
# Prepared by the US Dept. of Commerce, NOAA, Space Environment Center
#
# Geophysical Alert Message
#
Solar-terrestrial indices for 21 August follow.
Solar flux 119 and mid-latitude A-index 51.
The mid-latitude K-index at 1200 UTC on 22 August was 4 (47 nT).

Space weather for the past 24 hours has been moderate.
Geomagnetic storms reaching the G2 level occurred.

Space weather for the next 24 hours is expected to be minor.
Geomagnetic storms reaching the G1 level are expected.

Yeah, but what does this mean? Could you explain?