Old August 25th 03, 12:18 AM
Frank Dresser

"Jim Hampton" wrote in message
David,

Looks like I'm going to have to research some nice linear as well as a
decent HF station. I had been looking at a vertical to avoid all of the
horizontal lines in the neighborhood, but, on second thought ... 1500

watts
horizontally polarized, 50 feet from the power lines might prove

interesting

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA
ps - we need a study as to where the biggest ingress will occur

Hmmm. I can't imagine any way Ham radio interference would do any good,
even if legal. Interference might not have effect it at all. Or it might
cause a slowdown the BPL user would attribute to internet congestion. If
the BPL user believes interference is casuing a problem with his gee-whiz
powerline internet access, he's gonna squak to the power company and maybe
the FCC. Face it, radio hobbyists are in no position for poor public
relations. There are more people who will be attracted to the bright, shiny
promise of BPL than there are radio hobbyists. Considering the numbers,
would it be unlikely for the FCC to redefine the interference limits?

I'd be curious to know how vunerable BPL is to interference. I have no
doubt the BPL people have run tests, and I'm a little surprised they're not
at the front of a webpage somewhere. Ham radio may not have alot of effect.
The power lines will only absorb a fraction of what's transmitted, and will
probably re-radiate most of that. I would think interference from devices
plugged directly into the lines would have the most effect. Like spikey old
universal motors and cheap switchmode power supplies.

Politically, it's far better if damaging interference comes from everyday
objects around the home. Like the vacuum cleaner, the microwave oven, the
kid's computer, etc.

And nothing will help as much as bringing new people into the radio hobby.

Frank Dresser