Old August 25th 03, 10:18 AM
Sanjaya

wrote wrote...
I've just recently decided to buy a shortwave radio, and after a few days of
Internet researching I've narrowed it down to either the Sangean ATS-404 and
the Grundig Yacht Boy 300PE. Both of them are 79.95, and I don't really know
what significant differences there are between the two. If anyone can
suggest one or the other I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Peter,
I own both of those models.
They have poor image rejection.
The YB-300 has very tinny speaker
sound. The ATS-404 is more sensitive
to weak signals, so of the two I
would recommend the ATS-404.
However, if you are going to do
anything other than occasional listening
you might want to pay the extra money
for a Grundig YB-400 PE. It is far
superior to the 300. Another nice
choice, if you can get it at less than
retail only, is the Sangean ATS-505.
Overpriced at retail, but worth the money
you'd pay if you find it at eBay as the
Radio Shack DX-402. Both have SSB
reception.
Also, the Sangean ATS-606/Radio Shack DX-399
is a great choice if you don't need SSB.
Find the RS DX-399 on eBay to save
big bucks over the Sangean retail version.
If I was going to get a radio without SSB
it would be that one... preferrably the
Radio Shack model since it can be found
at a great price. (I own 2 of them).
Good sound, good reception in a pocket