Old August 26th 03, 04:10 AM
Ryan, KC8PMX

Jim:
Even BEFORE they start this BPL thing, the existing power lines emanate a
ton of interference anyways. It is almost impossible for me to listen to
anything HF around here because the lines around here are terrible. I can
only imagine how much worse it will get with adding the BPL stuff as well.
I am definitely a proponent of having the utilities switching (albeit
expensive) to buried electrical lines. Only exception might be where the
lines need to cross a river etc.

--
Ryan, KC8PMX
FF1-FF2-MFR-(pending NREMT-B!)
"Jim Hampton" wrote in message
David,

Looks like I'm going to have to research some nice linear as well as a
decent HF station. I had been looking at a vertical to avoid all of the
horizontal lines in the neighborhood, but, on second thought ... 1500

watts
horizontally polarized, 50 feet from the power lines might prove

interesting

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA
ps - we need a study as to where the biggest ingress will occur

"David Stinson" wrote in message

Money talks, public service walks- BPL is a certainty.

The "null it out- anyone can do it" argument is crap-
works well in theory, poorly in the field.
Even with excellent nulling, QRP and other weak signal work is finished.
Shortwave DXing is finished.

You have three choices-
Give up radio.
Move far enough into the country to avoid the polluted grid,
"Gorilla warfare-" Power lines that leak out, can also leak IN.
50 watts of broadband noise generator plugged into the nearest socket
would do. Note that I would never advocate anything illegal.....
D.S.

---