Old August 27th 03, 04:22 AM
RHF

Paul,

ON-POINT: For your USB 11.175 MHz a Half Wave Dipole (HWD) is a good
antenna but requires a specific length and height for a small band of
frequencies and for those frequencies is very directional.
* These facts limit the HWD's application as a good overall for the
other group of frequencies 5-9 MHz (USB).
* You could construct a Dual-Band HWD or Tri-Band HWD Antennas to try
and cover these three SW bands.
* Usually Multi-Band HWD Antennas are 'cut' for the lowest frequency
(longest/largest size).
* A type of HWD that uses a single center support with two slopping
legs is call the Inverted "V".
NOTE: The commercial antenna that goes by the Brand Name of "Alpha
Delta" Model "DX Ultra" (80Ft Long / 20-30Ft Center / 5-10Ft Ends) is
a Tri-Band Inverted "V" Antenna.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search

FWIW: You may wish to consider the a simple basic antenna that
incorporates the Low Noise Antenna Design Concepts a la John Doty.

The best shape antenna that lends itself to the Low Noise Antenna
Design is the Inverted "L" Antenna.

The Inverted "L" Antenna can be erected at any average Height 15-45
Feet and for any reasonable Length 30-135 Feet to fit your land and
space limitations. When constructed well using a matching transformer
and ground; they can give good omni-directional coverage across the
LW, AM/MW, and SW Bands.

~ RHF
..
..
= = = "Paul"
= = = wrote in message ...
Would an antenna like the one in the link be any good? I am looking for a
decent shortwave antenna. I mainly listen to 11.175 USB and 5-9mhz USB.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...Fid=278%2D1374

Any advice would be helpful.

thanks,

Paul