Old August 27th 03, 04:52 AM
tommyknocker

Frank Dresser wrote:

"Brian Kelly" wrote in message
om...

From http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2003/08/21/4/?nc=1

"The League also noted that comments in the proceeding so far have
been silent on the interference susceptibility of BPL to ham radio
signal ingress. The League predicted that even as little as 250 mW of
signal induced into overhead power lines some 100 feet from an amateur
antenna could degrade a BPL system or render it inoperative."

I realize that this is not the statement about actual tests run by the
BPL people which you'd like to see, they haven't published *any* test
results at all, but the League technical guys are pretty sharp and I
doubt they'd make a statement like this if that didn't have a good
basis for making it.

Thanks. I do think interference is going to be a real problem for BPL
performance, but ham radio interference will be a very small part of that.
I suspect household devices will be far more significant.

I have an air purifier that spews RF all over the tropical bands. I have
to turn it off to get Peru or whatever. And then there's flourescent
light ballasts. Think of BPL as flourescent lights times a zillion.