Old August 27th 03, 05:03 AM
Al Patrick

David wrote:

Hello all, I was interested in purchasing a shortwave radio and this
particular one seems to be quite popular. I know there is a Grundig Satellit
900 coming out later this year but the prices available on ebay for the 800
are quite appealing. I have never owned a shortwave radio before and had a
few questions:

1. What is the opinion of this group regarding the Grundig Satellit 800?

A lot of bang for the buck.

2. Will I need to add an external antenna?

No, but it will help.

3. I live in the southern Indiana area so what can I expect to receive?
Europe? South America?

All the above, and much more -- when conditions are right. We have good
and bad days for shortwave listening. It's not like AM & FM where you
listen on the same frequency all the time. Also, because it depends on
the atmosphere to bounce the signal back to earth, and the atmosphere
changes, reception will change from great to awful to not at all!

4. How do you know where the stations are and what frequencies they are on?

http://www.monitoringtimes.com/html/mtairshows.html

Subscribing to Monitoring Times is one of the better ways.