Old August 27th 03, 10:57 AM
Ralph Aichinger

In rec.radio.amateur.policy CW wrote:
I think there is a big panic about something that will probably be a minor
annoyance to some. Not a problem to most. Do people seriously think that
airports are just going to cease communicating with their planes? How about

That is done on VHF, not on HF, AFAIK

the military HF network. I can see them now. Sitting around the pentagon
saying "forget national security, people have to get their email". Think
about it.

BPL chipsets can keep some frequency ranges free from QRM. Somebody in
the german ham newsgroup has looked at it with a spectrum analyzer
or whatever.

And I think military users could change to VHF or UHF, even sat
communications anyway if they wanted. They could also keep BPL
out of special areas. I doubt military users in suburban environments
give a damn about HF.

BPL *is* a real threat.

/ralph