Old August 27th 03, 10:57 PM
saki

Default Should I resurrect my FRG-7700 or buy a new portable?

wrote in -
berlin.de:

I have recently been thinking about buying a new portable receiver for
bedside use, I'd just about decided on a Sangean ATS-909 (Roberts R861
here in the UK) when I wondered whether I'd actually be better off
getting my FRG-7700 off the shelf and using that.

I have the space for the FRG-7700 by the bed, that's not a problem and
I suspect that it'll be significantly easier to use while in bed as it
won't fall over like a portable will when pressing the buttons etc.

I already have an external aerial (could be improved). Will the
FRG-7700 actually perform better than a modern portable still? Reading
through old postings to rec.radio.shortwave opinions seem quite mixed.
I have the FTR-7700 Aerial Tuner for my FRG-7700 and it has the memory
option and the Gilfer Associates improved filters.

Depends. In my own experience the FRG-7700 performance is a great
motivator for rejoning the hobby. With a moderately good antenna it can
be surprisingly decent, though it's hampered by lack of usable filters
and more modern options such as synchronous detection (which the ATS-
909/R861 doesn't have anyway). But it's sensitivity is quite good for a
set of its era, IMHO.

Earlier this year I did what you're contemplating. I pulled out my
neglected FRG-7700 and installed a 60 foot random wire in the attic; had
a blast logging decent stations for several months. But the allure of
more modern circuitry was hard to resist. I considered some of the newer
portables available but eventually went for a tabletop, an Icom R-75,
with which I'm very happy. (The 7700 is now my bedside radio as well).

Why not set up the 7700 and experiment for a month or two? You might
discover that your renewed listening habits eventually lead towards the
ATS-909 or perhaps to something more sophisticated. But give the Frog
another try....

----