Old August 28th 03, 02:58 AM
Brian Kelly

"CW" wrote in message news:uca3b.278911$uu5.62460@sccrnsc04...
They probably do but not in widespread use nor is it likely to be. They do
also have the capability to replace most of that HF traffic by satellite.
They did, at one time, start to scale back the HF ops in favor of satellite
but decided that was a bad idea from a reliability standpoint. They do have
the satalite capablity but maintain HF to. The military, in any case, is
only a part of the government HF operation.

Right: Didja ever add up the number of published MF/HF freqs just the
Coast Guard and the HF air traffic controllers use?? And those are
just a few of the published gummint-used freqs. Then come who the hell
knows how many unpublished freqs also used by other civil gummint
types.

If bpl has the capability of not
using certain segments of the band, due to the amount of space that would
have to be left alone, the bpl spectrum is going to be pretty holy.

It would be one big hole, "selective BPL interference" is a ridiculous
and completely unworkable concept.

In any
case, I really don't think it is a viable technology, I seriously doubt it
will be the major rf disaster that some are saying it will be and I don't
think it will last long if it gets off the ground at all.

If it's allowed to get off the ground at all a huge amount of damage
will be done even if it does eventually peter out. The closing the
gate after the cows get out syndrome, etc.

As far as BPL being an RF disaster is concerned I've travelled twice
to one of the BPL pilot areas specifically to listen to the stuff
hands on. Been there, done it myself and I need to tell you that yes
BPL is a potential HF/VHF disaster which needs to be squashed *before*
it even gets off the ground.

Anybody who belives otherwise needs to get off their butts and away
from their keyboards, pack up a rig and actually go listen to stuff
before they spout off about it.

Brian Kelly w3rv