Old August 29th 03, 04:51 AM
WShoots1

I bailed out of the ARRL 14 years ago when it started to become clear that
the Leagues agenda was tending more toward a policy of supporting lower
licensing standards (CB'er Ham). A pool of trained, capable radio operators
means something to me and I could no longer stand to be a part of an
organization that was moving to disregard that section of Part 97.

Me, too, for the same reason and at about the same time.

I got a good dialog going with the head of ARRL's Comm Dept., in regard to the
ARES being out of step with contemporary times. About the time he agreed with
me and started planning changes, he was transferred to another department.

As a result, ARRL still thinks hauling a 20M beam to the top of a mountain is
practice for a national emergency. In fact, contesters do NOT make good
emergency operators.

Bill, K5BY