Old August 29th 03, 12:52 PM
Stephan Grossklass

Jim R Feliciano schrieb:

I listen to KUSF at 90.3 on the FM dial. It is a college station from the
University of San Francisco. It has a weak signal. Here is my problem and my
question. I can receive the signal to the station just fine on car radios.
However, I cannot get the signal on portable AM/FM radios. My Sony ICF-SW1
can't pick it up even when I have thirty feet of speaker wire attached to the
antenna. I went to Radio Shack and none of their portable radios could pick up
the signal. Why can cars receive the signal easily and portable can't?

Very simple - actually, literally that, because portables' FM sections
aren't particularly sophisticated these days. 20-30 years ago things
looked different, back then you could actually find very good FM
sections (with multiple cascaded filters and all that) that easily
allowed some FM DX, while today even dedicated FM tuners usually aren't
any real DX machines. Car radios, however, are required to have
excellent FM performance for the reasons stated already.

Stephan
--
HX-inside:
iP133, Mill II 4 MB, 256 MB FPM, 2.5 + 1 (IDE) + 4.5 (SCSI) GB;