Old August 30th 03, 04:50 PM
RedOctober90

(sum1) wrote in message . com...
(Diverd4777) wrote in message ...

Hoping no one ever has to walk home again..

Interesting you should say that. In this week's news:

-----------

Sprawling suburbs that make it harder for people to get around without
a car may help fuel obesity: Americans who live in the most sprawling
counties tend to weigh 6 more pounds than their counterparts in the
most compact areas.

Adding to the sprawl concern: Pedestrians and bicyclists are much more
likely to be killed by passing cars here than in parts of Europe where
cities are engineered to encourage physical activity ? and whose
residents typically are skinnier and live longer than the average
American.

Those are conclusions of major new studies being published Thursday
that call on urban planners and zoning commissions to consider public
health in designing neighborhoods.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...althy_sprawl_2

The real reason that almost half the population of overweight, is
simply because they fail to eat the right foods and get a good amount
of exercise. I know plenty of people in my suburban area who drive 1hr
30min to work or more. But these people eat a HEALTHY diet and get a
decent amount of exercise.

They keep trying to blame the obesity problem on things like this
rather than the lack of proper diet and excercise. Most health
problems would be eliminated quickly if diet was improved.