Old September 2nd 03, 07:58 AM
starman

Dave N wrote:

OK, I'll look it over later this week when I get some time. Everything
inside this radio is very well labeled, and if a guy had a service
manual and some know-how I'm sure he could fix just about anything that
could go wrong with it. One side of the ferrite antenna is even labeled
"MW", and the other "SW". What could be easier? Thanks for the
suggestion to trace backwards from the ferrite -- that helps a lot.

Thanks again,
Dave.

Try tapping the PC board at various locations with an insulated
(plastic) tool to see if you can make the problem come and go. Try to
find where the board is most sensitive to being touched/flexed. Then
look carefully with a magnifier around that area at the solder joints,
particularly those that have lost their shinny appearance or look
brittle (cracks).

Frank Dresser wrote:
If you can do that much, you should have a good chance of fixing it
yourself. Pay particular attention to the solder connections around the
ferrite antenna and follow the traces back to where ever they go, and pay
attention to those, too. And touch up the soldering on anything that looks
suspect where ever you find it. Most intermittents are caused by poor
solder joints.

Frank Dresser