Old September 2nd 03, 09:17 AM
Telamon

In article ,
"CW" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in
message

Depends on how you connect it to the radio. With just a single
vertical lead-in then yes but use a coax grounded in some way then
no.

Feedline type has nothing to do with it. The classic inverted L was
connected with a single wire feedline. Coax feed is often used now
but not always. I, and many others, have run inverted Ls
(transmitting) right off the back of the radio.

If a coax cable is the vertical section then there is no vertical part
to the antenna so the answer is no. If it is a single wire then the
lead-in is part of the antenna and will radiate similar to the
horizontal section.

Another thing to consider is that the vertical portion should be a
significant portion of the antenna to qualify as an inverted L. An
antenna that is 15 feet high and 150 feet long the vertical portion
is only 10% of the total pickup area. I would consider that to be a
horizontal random/long wire.

There is a bit of truth to that. It is generally excepted that an
inverted L is most efficient when the verticle portion is as long as
possible.

I went looking for a definition and could not find one specifically. The
closest I could find resembled a Marconi type where the vertical and
horizontal sections were 1/8 wavelength each or 50%.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California