Old September 4th 03, 03:38 AM
tommyknocker

Brenda Ann wrote:

"tommyknocker" wrote in message
JA wrote:

Most of us avoid the radical protestant-type of broadcaster just like we
avoid hard-sell tactics re merchandise. The manner of speech itself is
unusual: emotional, almost yelling. I've felt the radio and TV

evangelists
are cultural phenomena unique to the US, but exactly what the phonomena

is,
is hard to place. Something like "I'll convince you of this and then
you'll be one of the good people versus one of bad. And then I'll ask

you
for money."

I can't say I listen to these sorts of folks longer than to know what

sort
of broadcast it is and move on. They are easy to id though.

I always look at Passport or EiBi so I know exactly who it is. These
stations only ID every hour as per FCC regs so it's hard to tell WWCR
apart from WWFV. Anyway, you're right that this type of evangelism is
unique to the US. I believe that it can be traced all the way back to
The Great Awakening in the 1740s. From all accounts those preachers were
just as emotional as today's, except they didn't have radio back then so
the preachers were nomads going from town to town. I personally think
it's a crude form of mind control propaganda, with the desired effect of
overriding reason so the subconscious accepts the words without
question.

Televangelists are far from a strictly American phenomenon.. we have them
over here, too. Though I can't tell whether they are asking for money
(don't yet understand enough Korean, even after living here for three years
now), but they certainly have ENOUGH of them..

The Korean Christians are spiritual direct descendants of the American
right wing Christians. Right wing Protestants sent missionaries to Korea
after the Korean War ended, and Christianity went from zero percent of
the South Korean population in 1953 to over 50% fifty years later-most
of them Bible literalists like their American converters.