Old September 5th 03, 11:25 PM
john KB5AG

The 210 is a beauty of a radio; I think it's the epitome of large 60's
transistor sets.

I have one that I am planning on fixing up, complete with carrying case and
SSB adapter. I'm not sure it would beat a 3400 for performance, but
they'd be neck and neck.

John
"Pete KE9OA" wrote in message
Thanks, John. I do remember playing with one in the local Grundig shop on
the North side of Chicago, several years ago. It was pretty good, but I
didn't realize that it used that same turret type of tuner. Still, that

210
series was my favorite. I did have a couple of 2000s for awhile, and they
weren't quite as hot on the MW/LW ranges. I did hang on the the 210,
eventually giving it to my wife, once I started building my own MW/LW
receivers. I did measure the sensitivity on that unit, and it was right
around .3uV across the range, which is great for a portable.

Pete

john KB5AG wrote in message
. net...
Pete;

The 3400 is the last and largest of the same series you pine for!

I can't say about the tracking front end for LW/MW/MB, but the SW tuner

is
similar to the one in your favorite 210, a fancy turret affair with gold
plated contacts, and tuned RF for each band. It is a quiet and very
sensitive receiver. Very little drift, you can listen to an SSB signal

for
quite some time without any retuning. Selectivity it pretty good for a
portable, too.
Sitting next to a Drake R8 or equal, the s3400 wouldn't have too much to

be
embarrassed about.

It certainly is not like typical Japanese units of that time, unless you
consider "typical" to be something like a Sony CRF-230.
Like most Grundig radios, workmanship is excellent, and the set was

designed
so that it could be serviced. Not many old, large Japanese radios are
repair friendly.

That being said, I don't think the set is worth $750 either. But in
excellent condition with all manuals, it should fetch around $500. I

would
certainly rather spend $500 on that than on a Sony 6800, which fetches

as
much these days.

I hope that you will have the opportunity to play with a 3400 some time.

regards,

John KB5AG

"Pete KE9OA" wrote in message
I think that person is saying that the receiver isn't worth it,

because
it
is too old. I took a look at that unit, and it just doesn't look that
special............it looks like the typical japanese units of that

time.
Now, if it was a model 900, that would be a different story. The

model
210
and the model 1000 series were the ones that still had that classic

European
styling. They also had that cool tracking front end design, with the
variable inductor tracking with the two-gang tuning cap on the

LW/MW/MB,
giving the equivalent of three gang tuning on those bands, while they

did
have a three-gang tuning cap on the dual conversion SW ranges. I did

have
some of the later units from Grundig, and they were just nothing to

write
home about. Too bad you don't see any of the older models for sale. I

guess
I can understand why..............people seem to hang on to those

units,
my
wife included!

Pete

SYSYPHUS' SISTER wrote in message
Igor Gros wrote:
Hej man, that stuff is about 30 years old !

Jennajon wrote:

Selling my Grundig Satellit 3400 Professional (brown color). In

perfect
operating condition---all original equipment, including original
manuals.

Asking minimum $750US--buyer to pay all shipping/insurance costs

CONUS only.

If interested--email to

PLONK!!!

And that means what??