Old September 9th 03, 07:23 PM
Kent

If you do a hot MW receiver for about $150, I will place the first order!

"Clifton T. Sharp Jr." wrote in message
[posted and mailed.]

Pete KE9OA wrote:
My employer has given me the go ahead to design a new product. If there

is
enough interest, I will design a new MW receiver for the market. What

would
you be more interested in......................a small table top type,

or a
portable?

You know UL rating is easier when you use a wall wart. Go for a portable
even if it's a little on the large side.

Performance wise, I am talking about something like that of an AOR7030.
I don't think that I would be inplementing Sync Detection,

Aw, Pete, go that extra mile.

but a couple of
I.F. bandwidths could be possible.

Yes, please.

Definitely, double conversion, and
digital readout, with good audio quality.
Would you want any presets?

With digital readout, presets shouldn't be that expensive. The more
electronically-controlled functions, the easier to do presets, thus
adding bells and whistles. Extra points for IF bandwidth stored with
station, supercool for bass/treble stored. Including a clock? Wanna
be spiffy? Preset for timezone displayed. Easy, cheap, and marketing
will love having a feature no one else has.

How about target price?

A really hot MW receiver isn't a mass-market product. This ain't gonna be
cheap. Don't make it ridiculous. $150 might be a nice target for a really
hot unit. $39 if it comes pre-misaligned like other super radios.

Do you want a built in
antenna, or external antenna only?

A cheapo loopstick built in for general use, external input for the
serious DXer.

High and low impedance antenna inputs?

I know you won't forget to protect 'em against static etc.

How about a built in tunable preselector?

Probably worth it. RF gain control, too.

A switch and a cap gives you AGC slow/fast control, hint hint. And show
us how *real* AGC works, not that phony auto-stifle lots of designers
come up with.

Selectable 1 KHz tuning resolution. Don't forget 9 KHz if Europe might
be interested.

One alarm timer, one or two "on" timers, and a "sleep" timer that can be
set without having to turn the damn radio off and back on.

Audio line out.

DreamFeature [tm]: two low-Z antenna inputs, one with a unity-gain

variable
phase shift 0-90+ degrees. You're Superman if you can do that one cheaply.
Doesn't have to be precisely calibrated, only the range (not the dial
position) is important; only us tweakers will use it.

--
"Here, Outlook Express, run this program." "Okay, stranger."