Old September 10th 03, 03:25 AM
Henry Kolesnik

Pete
For layout of the knobs and controls take a look at the old Bearcat DX-1000
and refine that ergonomically. A front panel engineered properly wouldn't
require a manual on how to operate it. If you can make it portable so much
the better but include a bnc for a 50 ohm antenna. If its portable make it
so it can be installed in some kind of enclosure that makes it a desktop
unit. While your designing why not make the desk top with plug in modules
that can be upgraded with options and shrink that design to one board for a
somewhat less feature rich portable. I'll bet there's a market if you can
make the price right. Options would include ocxo, vlf, filters, synch det,
uhf conv, scannning, more memories, 10 Hz readout, then 1 hz
readout...spectrum scope, timer, etc. A person should be able to afford the
stripped down unit and listen and then as budget permits add the desired
modules. Repairs would be module swaps.
Best of luck in doing it.
73
hank wd5jfr
"Pete KE9OA" wrote in message
My employer has given me the go ahead to design a new product. If there is
enough interest, I will design a new MW receiver for the market. What

would
you be more interested in......................a small table top type, or

portable?
Performance wise, I am talking about something like that of an AOR7030.
I don't think that I would be inplementing Sync Detection, but a couple of
I.F. bandwidths could be possible. Definitely, double conversion, and
digital readout, with good audio quality.
Would you want any presets? How about target price? Do you want a built

in
antenna, or external antenna only? High and low impedance antenna inputs?
How about a built in tunable preselector?
E-mail me directly, and we will see what happens. Any of you who have

built
any of me receivers know what I am talking about...............I plan to
take the design to the next couple of steps up in performance.

Pete