Old September 11th 03, 08:16 AM
Pete KE9OA

Thanks, Gary. I think that a portable will definitely be on the horizen, and
the tone control circuit is beginning to sound like a better and better
idea. I think that this can be implemented into the design. The main thing
is the choice of turnover frequencies of the tone control circuit, for the
best sound. Back in the early to mid 90s, I used to design and build custom
acoustic instrument amplifiers, so I've got a bit of experience with tone
control circuitry.
Thanks for those comments!

Pete

Gray Shockley wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:25:58 -0500, Gary wrote
(in message ) :

I'm getting excited about this new MW receiver. I have the CCRadio
and believe it's reception is only fair, with poor selectivity
compared to my Grundig Satellit 800. Even my Grundig S350 is better
than the CCRadio.

My biggest problem with MW is interference from hologen lamps,

Generally, there is no interference from halogen lamps themselves, I have

two
in my radio room and there is no interfernce whatsoever from them.

However (and you knew this was coming, right? grin) these have off-lo-hi
switches. I have one in the living room which has a dimmer switch and it
tears up anything that gets close. Some of this latter design will even
interfere when they're turned off.

dimmers, etc. I don't know if there is any NB that will eliminate
this type of interference.

What I would like to see is:
A portable with a large enough quality speaker to get a decent bass
response, separate tone controls (or even better, a graphic equalizer

Over the years, I've used from one tone control to nine and the simplest

that
worked well was three controls, the standard trebel and bass and a

"midrange"
that covered (typically) from 300 to 3000cps/Hertz.

tailored to reduce certains frequencies associated with different
types of interference), at LEAST two GOOD bandwidths, a superior
built-in directional antenna, and of course a selectable sideband
option would certainly be nice.

If your set is a real step up from what I currently have, I will
definitely be a buyer!

Gray